Rulemaking Resources and Information
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) strives to educate state agencies and members of the regulated public in understanding their rights and responsibilities in connection with rulemaking under the California Administrative Procedure Act. In addition to training classes offered by OAL, below are links to information and resources regarding the rulemaking process. These resources are intended for informational purposes only. If you have any questions about any of the materials, please feel free to contact the OAL Reference Attorney at Staff@oal.ca.gov.
Coming soon. Thank you for your patience.
About the Rulemaking Process
- California Law and the Administrative Procedure Act: Includes information regarding: The Constitution, Statutes, Regulations, and Underground Regulations, The Evolution of Regulatory Reform in California, and Identifying What Must be Adopted Pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act.
- The Six Administrative Procedure Act Substantive Standards: OAL’s Review for Compliance with the Authority, Reference, Consistency, Clarity, Nonduplication, and Necessity Standards of the APA.
- The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Action. Preparing, publishing, and issuing the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Action.
- The Initial Statement of Reasons. Preparing the Initial Statement of Reasons, which provides for the necessity, purpose, and rationale for the rulemaking, as well as other disclosure requirements.
- Appeals to the Governor; Resubmissions: Appealing an OAL Disapproval Decision to the Governor; How to Resubmit a Withdrawn or Disapproved Rulemaking Package to OAL.
Office of Administrative Law
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1250
Sacramento, CA 95814-4339
Phone: (916) 323-6225
CALNET: (916) 473-6225
Fax: (916) 323-6826
Voicemail Line: (916) 323-6815
If you wish to receive notice of proposed rulemakings by OAL, send an email to email@example.com and request to be put on OAL’s mailing list.