Welcome to the Office of Administrative Law
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) ensures that agency regulations are clear, necessary, legally valid, and available to the public. OAL is responsible for reviewing administrative regulations proposed by over 200 state agencies for compliance with the standards set forth in California’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA), for transmitting these regulations to the Secretary of State and for publishing regulations in the California Code of Regulations.
- The OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE LAW'S WEBSITE is currently going through some construction. Please contact the OAL Reference Attorney at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 323-6815 if you have questions or concerns.
- The 2019 CALIFORNIA RULEMAKING LAW HANDBOOKS are now available! The handbook is a convenient resource that provides the primary statutes and regulations governing the California rulemaking process. Please click here for information on how to order.
- The 2019 CALIFORNIA REGULATORY NOTICE REGISTER SCHEDULE is now available. Please visit our Notice Register page.
- PREPARATIONS FOR THE 2019 RULEMAKING CALENDAR are now available. An e-mail was sent to Chief Counsels and Regulations Coordinators concerning this annual Rulemaking Calendar, which is a projection of rulemaking activity by state agencies for the coming year. Click here for more information.
- ONLINE TRAINING REGISTRATION: Registration for OAL's 3-day APA rulemaking training course and half-day underground regulation training is now available online. Register here.