Welcome to the Office of Administrative Law
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) ensures that agency regulations are clear, necessary, legally valid, and available to the public. OAL is responsible for reviewing administrative regulations proposed by over 200 state agencies for compliance with the standards set forth in California’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA), for transmitting these regulations to the Secretary of State and for publishing regulations in the California Code of Regulations.
GOVERNOR'S EXECUTIVE ORDER EXTENDING APA DEADLINES
Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-40-20, issued March 30, 2020, extended by 60 calendar days the following deadlines that affect state agency rulemaking actions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) during the state of emergency:
- The one year deadline for expiration of a Notice of Proposed Action (NOPA) and submission to OAL of proposed regulatory actions under a NOPA (Government Code, section 11346.4(b));
- The deadline for expiration of emergency regulations (Government Code, section 11346.1(e));
- The deadline to readopt emergency regulations (Government Code, section 11346.1(h));
- The 120 day deadline to resubmit disapproved rulemaking actions (Government Code, section 11349.4(a)); and,
- The 30 working day deadline for OAL to review proposed regular and non-substantive rulemaking actions submitted to OAL for review (Government Code, section 11349.3(a) and California Code of Regulations, title 1, section 100).
Governor Newsom's Executive Order N-71-20, issued June 30, 2020, extended by 60 additional days the foregoing deadlines that affect state agency rulemaking actions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA).
Public Hearing on Underground Regulations: Amendment of Sections 250, 260, 270, and 280:
Hearing begins May 26, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. and will continue until all testimony is submitted, or until 12:00 p.m., whichever is later.
Or to participate by telephone, call 1-916-282-3524 and enter Conference ID: 439 922 79#
- OAL Notice of Proposed Readoption of Emergency Regulations regarding Electronic Submissions. On April 22, 2021, OAL issued a Notice of Proposed Readoption of Emergency Regulations concerning electronic submissions of notices and rulemaking actions. Please click here for more information. The original Emergency adopted on July 6, 2020 and all the rulemaking documents associated with it can be found on the same page.
- OAL Notice of Proposed Action to Amend Chapter 2 (Underground) Regulations: Notice of Change of Date of Regulatory Hearing and Extension of Written Comment Period. OAL rescheduled its public hearing and extended the written comment deadline on its proposed rulemaking concerning Underground Regulations, Notice originally published on March 26, 2021. Click here for more information. The original Notice published on March 26, 2021 and all other rulemaking documents associated with this proposed rulemaking can be found on this same page.
- New Availability in OAL's 3-Day Rulemaking Training class! Now is a great opportunity to sign up for OAL's 3-Day Rulemaking Training Class! Please click here to sign up. Waiting periods for the class have been significantly reduced, so now is definitely the time to sign up for our comprehensive, popular, in-demand training on the rulemaking process.
- Instructions for the 2021 RULEMAKING CALENDAR are now available. Click here for the memo sent to Chief Counsels and Regulation Coordinators and Schedules A and B.
- COVID-19. In an effort to keep both you and the OAL staff healthy during these challenging times, everyone who comes to OAL must exercise appropriate social distancing practices, including the wearing of a face mask. Thank you for your consideration and please help us all to stay safe and healthy!
- 2020 California Rulemaking Law Under the Administrative Procedure Act booklets are now available. Please contact email@example.com or (916) 323-6225 if interested in purchasing a copy.
Office of Administrative Law
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1250
Sacramento, CA 95814-4339
Phone: (916) 323-6225
CALNET: (916) 473-6225
Fax: (916) 323-6826
Voicemail Line: (916) 323-6815
If you wish to receive notice of proposed rulemakings by OAL, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be put on OAL's mailing list.