Welcome to the Office of Administrative Law
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) ensures that agency regulations are clear, necessary, legally valid, and available to the public. OAL is responsible for reviewing administrative regulations proposed by over 200 state agencies for compliance with the standards set forth in California’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA), for transmitting these regulations to the Secretary of State and for publishing regulations in the California Code of Regulations.
GOVERNOR'S EXECUTIVE ORDER EXTENDING APA DEADLINES
Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-40-20, issued March 30, 2020, extended by 60 calendar days the following deadlines that affect state agency rulemaking actions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) during the state of emergency:
- The one year deadline for expiration of a Notice of Proposed Action (NOPA) and submission to OAL of proposed regulatory actions under a NOPA (Government Code, section 11346.4(b));
- The deadline for expiration of emergency regulations (Government Code, section 11346.1(e));
- The deadline to readopt emergency regulations (Government Code, section 11346.1(h));
- The 120 day deadline to resubmit disapproved rulemaking actions (Government Code, section 11349.4(a)); and,
- The 30 working day deadline for OAL to review proposed regular and non-substantive rulemaking actions submitted to OAL for review (Government Code, section 11349.3(a) and California Code of Regulations, title 1, section 100).
Governor Newsom's Executive Order N-66-20, issued May 29, 2020, extended by 60 additional days the foregoing deadlines that affect state agency rulemaking actions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA).
- Instructions for the 2021 RULEMAKING CALENDAR are now available. Click here for the memo sent to Chief Counsels and Regulation Coordinators and Schedules A and B.
- OAL Emergency Regulations. On July 6, 2020, OAL adopted emergency regulations concerning the electronic submission of documents that are no larger than 25 MB and requirements for acceptance of digital signatures on the Form 400. Please click here to access the approved emergency text, as well as other documents associated with the emergency. Please be sure that if you submit a matter electronically, the submission:
- is contained in one email that is not larger than 25 MB (including all attachments),
- includes an electronic Form 400 digitally signed by the head of agency (or their delegate)
- includes a digital signature certification signed by the head of agency (unless one has previously been provided to OAL), and
- is emailed to ElectronicSubmissions@oal.ca.gov
- COVID-19. In an effort to keep both you and the OAL staff healthy during these challenging times, everyone who comes to OAL must exercise appropriate social distancing practices, including the wearing of a face mask. Thank you for your consideration and please help us all to stay safe and healthy!
- Notice of Intent to Award Contract - On July 17, 2020, the California Office of Administrative Law issued a Request for Proposals For the Publication of the Official California Code of Regulations and the California Regulatory Notice Register (RFP-CCR-2020). On October 1, 2020, OAL has issued Addendum No. 1 to RFP-CCR-2020. On October 29, 2020, OAL issued a Notice of Intent to Award Contract to West Publishing Corporation d/b/a West, a Thomson Reuters business. For more information about RFP-CCR-2020 and OAL's contracting process, visit the 2020 California Code of Regulations and California Regulatory Notice Register Publication Contract page.
- 2020 California Rulemaking Law Under the Administrative Procedure Act booklets are now available. Please contact email@example.com or (916) 323-6225 if interested in purchasing a copy.
Office of Administrative Law
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1250
Sacramento, CA 95814-4339
Phone: (916) 323-6225
CALNET: (916) 473-6225
Fax: (916) 323-6826
Voicemail Line: (916) 323-6815
If you wish to receive notice of proposed rulemakings by OAL, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be put on OAL's mailing list.