Welcome to the Office of Administrative Law
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) ensures that agency regulations are clear, necessary, legally valid, and available to the public. OAL is responsible for reviewing administrative regulations proposed by over 200 state agencies for compliance with the standards set forth in California’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA), for transmitting these regulations to the Secretary of State and for publishing regulations in the California Code of Regulations.
NEW! Date for OAL's Underground Regulations Training! OAL’s 3-Hour Training on Underground Regulations will be held on December 5, 2023. Register online today using the link on the OAL Training Page.
NEW! The 2023 California Rulemaking Law Under the Administrative Procedure Act booklets are now available. Please contact email@example.com or (916) 323-6225 if interested in purchasing a copy.
- NEW! The 2023 RULEMAKING CALENDAR is now available.
- On December 21, 2022, OAL issued its Notice of Decision Pursuant to Government Code section 11340.7 in response to a Petition for Adoption or Repeal from the California Gambling Control Commission. The decision will be published in the California Regulatory Notice Register on December 30, 2022.
- IMPORTANT – APPROVED REGULATIONS REGARDING UNDERGROUND REGULATIONS! On October 31, 2022, OAL approved amendments to the Underground Regulations program in Title 1, Division 1, Chapter 2 of the California Code of Regulations.
- IMPORTANT – APPROVED PERMANENT REGULATIONS REGARDING ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS OF RULEMAKINGS AND NOTICES TO OAL! OAL has just approved the Certificate of Compliance to its emergency regulations concerning electronic submissions of rulemakings and notices. There have been some critical revisions to the electronic filing procedures that have been in place. To ensure proper processing of electronic submissions, please visit our frequently asked questions page about the latest procedures.
- New Availability in OAL's 3-Day Rulemaking Training class! Now is a great time to sign up for OAL's 3-Day Rulemaking Training Class! Our popular Rulemaking Class offers comprehensive training on the Administrative Procedure Act rulemaking process and is taught by highly experienced OAL attorneys and legal staff. Sign up today!
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Electronic Submissions. In light of OAL's adoption of emergency regulations regarding electronic submissions, OAL prepared a set of frequently asked questions that pertain to the Section 101 certification, digital signatures, and electronic submission requirements.
Office of Administrative Law
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1250
Sacramento, CA 95814-4339
Phone: (916) 323-6225
CALNET: (916) 473-6225
Fax: (916) 323-6826
Voicemail Line: (916) 323-6815
If you wish to receive notice of proposed rulemakings by OAL, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be put on OAL's mailing list.