Welcome to the Office of Administrative Law
The Office of Administrative Law (OAL) ensures that agency regulations are clear, necessary, legally valid, and available to the public. OAL is responsible for reviewing administrative regulations proposed by over 200 state agencies for compliance with the standards set forth in California’s Administrative Procedure Act (APA), for transmitting these regulations to the Secretary of State and for publishing regulations in the California Code of Regulations.
GOVERNOR'S EXECUTIVE ORDER EXTENDING APA DEADLINES
Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-40-20, issued March 30, 2020, extended by 60 calendar days the following deadlines that affect state agency rulemaking actions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) during the state of emergency:
- The one year deadline for expiration of a Notice of Proposed Action (NOPA) and submission to OAL of proposed regulatory actions under a NOPA (Government Code, section 11346.4(b));
- The deadline for expiration of emergency regulations (Government Code, section 11346.1(e));
- The deadline to readopt emergency regulations (Government Code, section 11346.1(h));
- The 120 day deadline to resubmit disapproved rulemaking actions (Government Code, section 11349.4(a)); and,
- The 30 working day deadline for OAL to review proposed regular and non-substantive rulemaking actions submitted to OAL for review (Government Code, section 11349.4(a) and California Code of Regulations, title 1, section 100).
Governor Newsom's Executive Order N-66-20, issued May 29, 2020, extended by 60 additional days the foregoing deadlines that affect state agency rulemaking actions under the Administrative Procedure Act (APA).
- OAL Proposed Emergency Regulations. OAL is proposing to adopt Emergency regulations concerning the electronic submission of some documents and the requirements for acceptance of digital signatures by the head-of-agency. Please click here to access OAL’s Notice, Finding of Emergency and Proposed text. OAL intends to submit and post its rulemaking on June 25th. If you wish to comment, please do so as indicated in the Notice, from June 25th through June 30th to both OAL and the contact person listed. Upon submission, the Proposed Regulations will be available from the “Emergency Regulations Under Review” tab.
- COVID-19. In an effort to keep both you and the OAL staff healthy during these challenging times, everyone who comes to OAL must exercise appropriate social distancing practices, including the wearing of a face mask. Thank you for your consideration and please help us all to stay safe and healthy!
- NOPA E-Submissions. Contingent upon OAL's technological capabilities, email submissions of publications for the California Regulatory Notice Register (CRNR) are acceptable, as long as the requirements of title 1, CCR, section 5 and Government Code section 11346.2 are complied with. OAL has created a dedicated email for such submissions: NOPA@oal.ca.gov. You may also email OAL staff via the dedicated email with your CRNR-related questions.
- California Office of Administrative Law - Request for Information Regarding Publication of the Official California Code of Regulations and the California Regulatory Notice Register. For more information click Request for Information.
- 2020 California Rulemaking Law Under the Administrative Procedure Act booklets are now available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 323-6225 if interested in purchasing a copy.